This week, we sat down with Penny Goldstone to discuss life as Marie Claire’s Digital Fashion Editor, her views on sustainability within the fashion industry and why she’s renting her wardrobe on HURR.
1. What inspired you to pursue your career?
I’ve always loved fashion so always knew I wanted to work in that industry, however it wasn’t until I studied journalism at Uni that I knew I wanted to be in online magazines.
2. What does a day in the life of Marie Claire look like?
No day is the same, which I love. It could be seeing designer shows at Fashion Week, having breakfast meetings for new fashion launches, covering the Oscars live or just being at my desk writing fashion news and creating lovely shopping editorials.
3. What is the most valuable lesson you have learned so far in your career?
Hard work pays off, a cliché but true. Also to pick your battles, sometimes it’s easy to get annoyed over something that really isn’t that important.
4. Who is your role model?
I don’t really have one, but I definitely have a few girl crushes. I love Victoria Beckham, Eva Chen, the girls behind Rixo. Basically any women who’s built their own empire without compromising on creativity or personal life.
5. How would you describe your style?
I love a dress, especially if it’s colourful. I’ve spent the summer in midi dresses and minimal sandals, and for AW I’m going to invest in lace up boots and a prairie dress. I usually wear what my mood dictates that day, some days I’m more minimal, others I go all out.
6. Your three key wardrobe staples?
A silk slip dress, a checked blazer and a good quality pair of straight jeans.
7. If you could only wear one item of clothing forever more, which would it be and why?
So tough, but probably a midi dress.
8. What city are you desperate to visit?
Lisbon, I still haven’t been!
9. Tell us something about yourself we didn’t know?
I speak three languages: French, German and English.
10. Favourite item currently on HURR and why?
The Rixo polka dot dress. I fell in love with it during the brand’s SS19 presentation at Fashion Week and patiently waited for six months (and perhaps harassed the girls a little bit!) for it to launch online so I could buy it.
11. What quote do you live by?
I hate that it’s now associated with Love Island, but I always say ‘it is what it is’, as there is no point worrying about something that has already happened or you have no control over.