By now, you've probably noticed a certain set of mirrors taking over our Instagram feeds. They're curved, pastel coloured and as impressive as the outfits being shot through them.
Enter: Gustaf Westman, a young Swedish designer who's architecture background and penchant for fashion have made him an internet sensation. We caught up with Gustaf to find out all about that 'Curvy Mirror' and what's next on his agenda...
- Hey Gustaf! Were you expecting the Curvy Mirror to take Instagram by storm?
Haha! Not at all, I made similar stuff before that basically didn’t get any attention and I know how hard it is to have a break through. You need to have very big thoughts about yourself to expect that. I’m happy and humble to the fact that it happened.
2. What was the first piece of furniture you ever made?
I've designed stuff for all my life, but the first real furniture was a wooden table that I designed for an office two years ago.
3. Does your inspiration mainly come from furniture design or is there something else?
Mostly from fashion and people expressing trends in their personal way. Of course, I take inspiration from art and design history but not that much from contemporary furniture design.
4. What's your favourite instagram account?
I’m actually very bad at discovering new instagram accounts! That's something I want to be better at. But some people I'm inspired by are @blondey, @fannyekstrand, @blancamiro, @linneklund, @alfredbramsen, @hannamw and @mariejedig.
5. How do you select the materials you use? Is this a consideration in the design process?
Well it’s two things. I want to be local and use material that lasts for a long time! My most common material is wood but I’m trying to experiment with new materials such as recycled paper.
6. One top tip for a more conscious lifestyle?
Buy less stuff! Only buy stuff that you really like!
7. Who in the world would you love to own one of your pieces?
Max Lamb or Sabine Marcelis.
8. How would you describe your work in three words?
Playful, colorful and something else haha.
9. What’s next for you?
I’m just about to release a new line of furniture that I call curvy tables. It’s a continuation of the curvy mirror style and will come in three different kinds of tables to start with!